Mary Hall: Local Outreach
Debbie Fuehring: North Country Library & New York State Library for the Blind
Local Outreach Program:
The purpose of the Outreach is to enhance and improve the library services that are available to the elderly of Massena. Once a moth, a library staff member visits the Highland Nursing Home and St. Regis Nursing Home. Patrons may request specific authors or types of books. The library keeps track of the material borrowed and brings something different each month.
North Country Library System Outreach Program:
Those patrons unable to visit their local library may receive materials through the mail using catalogs and lists provided by the Outreach Department. Contact the library for an application.
Available by Pre-Paid Mail:
- Regular and Large Print Paperback Books
- Videos and Closed-Captioned Videos
- Recorded Books
- Material of Special Interest
Who is Eligible?
- Elderly – Any person over the age of 65 who need specialized services
- Disabled – Any person, regardless of age, who because of physical disablility, is unable to visit their local library
- Hearing Impaired/Deaf – Any person, regardless of age, who requires special materials or information because of hearing impairment
- Residents of Institutions – Any person, regardless of age, who is a resident of an institution, such as a hospital, nursing home, adult care home, etc., including county jails or correctional facilities
- Visually Impaired/Blind – Any person, regardless of age, who because of a visual impairment, is unable to use standard print
- Organizations/Agencies – Any organization or institution that serves the above mentioned people
What is Available:
- Large Print Books
- Regular Print Paperbacks
- Closed-Captioned Videos
- Videos & DVDs
- Books on CD & Tape
- Equipment: Items such as telecommunication devices for the the deaf (TDDs), closed-captioned decoders, VCRs, and other equipment needed for special programs are available for borrowing
How are Items Borrowed?
- By Pre-paid Mail – Those patrons unable to visit their local library may recieve materials through the mail using catalogs and lists provided by the Outreach Department.
- Local Public Library – All equipment and materials can be delivered to your local public library.
New York State Library For The Blind And Visually Handicapped
Cultural Education Center, Albany, NY 12230-0001
(518) 474-5935 or (800) 342-3688
Application: An application may be picked up at your local library or by contacting the New York State Library for the Blind and Visually Handicapped at the above address or phone number.
Books & Equipment: This Outreach Service provides books on recorded discs, cassette tapes, and in braille. Also available, free of charge, is the special equipment necessary to listen to recorded boooks.
Magazines: Many magazines are available. Almost all of the recorded magazines are on disc.
Music Services: Books about music. If you want to borrow actual music recordings, try your local public library.
What to Expect:
- It will take 2-3 weeks to fully establish your service.